Monday, February 05, 2007

Heros


I got this in an email this morning, I have no idea who wrote it but it touched my heart and I wanted to share it with whoever will read it. By the way the Hero to the left is my hero, my husband.



Two teams have now played their way to the Super Bowl and it got me to thinking. My hero wore a helmet, too. It wasn't a gleaming helmet with a team symbol on the side, though. It was covered in a camouflage pattern and bore the marks of the months of use it had seen. The dirt on my hero's face didn't come from a field of grass in a stadium in America. It came from streets and foxholes in a far off land. My hero didn't have a ball zinged past him. Instead, he felt hot lead whistle past his head and shrapnel rip at his clothes. When the skirmish subsided, my hero didn't get doused with Gatorade and head to a hot shower. Instead, he collapsed, exhausted, next to the wheel of a truck, hands shaking from what he had just experienced. He didn't get any cellphone calls congratulating him on a big win. Instead, he shook the hand of his buddy and thanked God they both had survived. My hero didn't get a shiny trophy or a ring or a million dollar contract extension. My hero got the satisfaction of knowing that he had made a difference for freedom and liberty in a way most will never know. My hero didn't lay down the ball after four quarters. My hero fought the fight until he laid down his life. Today, there are men and women in places around the world, wearing a uniform with the Stars and Stripes on the shoulder, who are REAL heroes. Their stories won't make the front page, they won't be talked about in every restaurant and bar in town. But their impact on the life that you! and I k now will far surpass that of the sports figures that will get the attention. I hope we, as a society, can keep it all in perspective.


Only two defining forces ever offered to die for you:

Jesus Christ and The American Soldier

One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.



Shouldn't YOU live a life worthy of the sacrifice?

No comments: